Friday, November 13, 2009

A Different Look

A lot has changed in Bethel and in my personal life since my last blog post. Winter has fast arrived and the roar of boat engines has quickly given way to the shriek of snow machine motors flying across the icy tundra. This past week marked our first rise in temperature above 32 degrees in literally the past month. However much those “warmer” temperatures might sound inviting, it has produced absolute havoc on Bethel transportation with the ice build up we have witnessed following the past two rain showers. Bethel roads currently look more like the typical scene you witness out of a hockey movie when two hockey coaches shuffle across the ice to exchange handshakes after the match. I wish I could say that the ice would make my commute to and from work quicker, but in all reality, it’s much slower. I do however provide local Alaskans a few good chuckles as they watch me slip and fall repeatedly on my tactical route across the banked street.


Bethel is without question a winter city. Everything seems to fall into place and simply function better with a few inches of ice and snow covering the landscape. Within a matter of days after our first deep freeze, the river begins to freeze, the tundra becomes navigable and people trade in their cash for clunker cars for this year’s newest Polaris snow machine financed with their families Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) checks. It takes some time until the river is iced up enough and completely navigable, but there are always a few brave soles determined to be the first conquistadors to make their way up river. Some make it happy of heir success while others stare down into the river with a cold, wet, disgruntled look on their face into an icy hole about the size of a snow machine. You live and you learn… sometimes. I however will not be leaving my fate to early season conditions and have vowed to wait until I see cars on the river before making the slip fate.


In regards to my personal life, I will no longer be a part of JVC, but will continue my work at Bethel Community Services Foundation in hopes of completing our savings and financial education program. The transition from JVC life to regular old Bethel life is an ongoing transition and I am still in the process of figuring out all the details, but remain committed and optimistic about the upcoming year. The departure from JVC has been a tough transition both emotionally and logistically, but glad I embarked on the adventure none the less and will continue to be in close contact with all my housemates. The experience, although tough at times, is one that I think everyone can benefit from. It was without question the first time in my life I have entered into a living situation with six strangers and shared some of the more intimate details of my life. While we had our share of conflicts, we also had our share of laughs and fun adventures. Living in community is one of the more difficult things I have done, but also one of the greatest tools I have found for finding my own strengths and weaknesses and will carry this self-discovery with me regardless of what roof is over my head.

While being a nomad for the past week has been a challenge at times, I do have to admit that it makes for great blog material. As of Monday, my new “posh” residence is the upstairs cubbyhole in the Yute Airlines pilot housing complex. When I say “complex”, I am referring to a sketchy looking blue apartment duplex shared between the pilots and mechanics at Yute air. Tony (one of my boss Jerry’s friends) who is the owner of the duplex and station manager for Yute Air, has been kind enough to let me live here awhile free under the conditions I will help out a bit with miscellaneous items around the duplex. My first task was to fix the plumbing in the house so the water, and more importantly the toilet, would be operational again. Given that I have no past experience with plumbing or handy man work for that matter, I said of course. Needless to say, my business skill set proved absolutely useless and Tony ended up fixing the plumbing. Looking back I probably should have come clean with Tony at the beginning and told him I know nothing about plumbing, but I didn’t have the heart to tell him that. ***Note to self…when someone ask you if you know how to fix the plumbing, say no and mention that you’re a finance major and that wasn’t covered in your core curriculum.


In regards to my new roommates, I live with three other guys; two of which I have met so far. Jared, a mid aged twenty-year-old former Texan resident, fly's a seat single engine prop plane out to the surrounding villages. Jared’s advice to me: “be careful about who you let drive you around in a snow machine. There’s a reason that the average women has six kids and the population isn’t growing.” Thanks Jared! Jared has offered to fly me around one of these days and do some “fun stuff” in his plane. When I asked what “fun stuff” is, he said flying really low and “stuff” like that. Terri is my other roommate. Terri is a quiet, disgruntled, ex hippy, Vietnam Vet who is a man of few words. The other night when I asked Terri if he would like some pasta if I made it, Terri replied, “I cook my own food.” Easy enough, so do I. Overall though, I can’t complain at all. It’s a free place to stay, offers companionship, has cable TV and should be relatively easy to clean up my 8x4 room when all is said and done.


As of now I am planning on staying in the Yute pilot housing for the next several weeks until I return back to Colorado for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was originally scheduled to come home the 15th of December, but decided to bump up my ticket in order to cover all the major holidays. When I gave the news to the girlfriend about possibly coming down to Omaha over Turkey day for the Missouri Valley Volleyball Tournament, I had one happy camper. As is stands right now, my plan is to return to Bethel on the 9th of January when my semi permanent lodging will be available. I am in the process of working out a deal with my boss’s daughter to stay in an extra bedroom in her place for the remainder of my Bethel year. She is currently a city police officer, but looking to become an Alaskan State Trooper in the next few months. At least I know I will be safe! In regards to work, everything is going decent. Our program is off the ground and running, but my biggest challenge is still getting people to show up when they say they will. Scheduling here is all relative. There are some preliminary plans in the making, but I am hoping to score a teaching job at the high school here in Bethel as well. Most likely it would be in the form of substitute teaching as I have offered to teach courses in business and polotics. Here's my chance to convert a few!


Besides the change in temperature and location, the past month has been a great month. A few weeks back I had the opportunity to fly down to Anchorage early before our JVC fall retreat and do a little exploring on my own. The trip started out great as all my flights were on time and upon arrival into Ted Stephens International Airport I was greeted with a 2010 Dodge Ram rental car for the same price as my previously booked Chevy compact car. Deciding to make the most of my time, I drove South down the Seward Highway towards Seward. Several hours and a few sightseeing pit stops later, I arrived in Seward to find quite possibly one of the most beautiful quaint small towns I have ever seen.


Upon arrival in Seward, I made a quick stop through the visitors’ bureau to finalize my hiking plans. Twenty minutes later, I was making my way up “Exit Glacier” on what was undoubtedly one of the better glacier hikes I have experienced. Shedding clothes quickly, I made my way up the five mile trail to the top of the glacier in hopes of completing my hike before dark. Upon arrival at the top, I was greeted by several furry mountain goats lounging around in hopes of getting their daily allotment of vitamin D. The temperature difference between the bottom and the top was mind boggling, but to be expected in late October. Overall, it was a great trip to Seward. I had a chance to partake in some awesome hiking, car camp on the beach, experience the Seward nightlife with some friendly locals and drive on one of the most famous and epic highways in the country. Job well done!

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a happy camper about seeing you over thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete